The Things I See As A Teacher  

Posted by: Mrs. C.



As many of you may or may not know, I am a mathematics instructor!  Sometimes, I see some of the most (blank) things.

Well the other day, I was in need of one of the secretary's extension and I couldn't find my list of numbers.  So, I sent one the students in the class next door to ask Mrs. B to give me the number.  When the student returned, he handed me a slip of paper with the following numbers written on it:  432-36100.  I asked the student to come back, because there were too many numbers and what exactly was the extension, so he came and took a look at the paper and said, "that's right."  With a puzzle look on my face, I asked him if he wrote this or Mrs. B, and he said, "I wrote that."  Then, I asked him what it said and he replied, "thirty-six hunit!"  SMH!  I corrected him and showed him the correct way it should have been written and asked him to have a seat.   The sad thing about this situation is the student didn't know that he was incorrect and seemed as if he didn't care when I corrected him.  

He is enrolled in one of my collaborative classes and the collaborative teacher never comes to assist him.  I mentioned the incident to the collaborative teacher in passing in the hallway and her response was, "really, did the kids laugh at him...I'll be in there tomorrow."  I have complained to the grade level administrator about her frequent absences from class, but still no help.  So, I just teach the general education students first, give them independent work and work with the other students next.  Hopefully, some of the information I give to these students will be retained.  I'm not hoping for a miracle, but I am attempting to get these babies to a point where they will be able to be functioning citizens.

This entry was posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

1 comments

It's gotta be a rewarding feeling to know that you're making a difference in the lives of others. All of my "schoolteacher" friends have crazy stories about their students but all of them seem to honestly love their jobs. You guys are special people!!!

Post a Comment